Friday, May 8, 2015

GENDER & PATTERN: AN UNANSWERED QUESTION








Currently I am presenting a series of performances at the South Florida Art Center, (where I have my Art residency). I developed an installation piece where I try to resemble a home ambiance. This environment was accomplished by appropriating popular images of saints and virgins. Simultaneously covering everything, walls, furniture even kitchen tools and silverware. I have also juxtaposed images of different wars, in the search for awaking questions about non-conscious female passive attitudes (in a kitchen doing what they are “supposed” to do). In the mid time, wars are taking place, killing our own sons, generating profound sufferings that the female gender is more likely to carry over centuries.

Additionally, the music comes from a video Art piece that I have created. Essentially the video is about wars (Hiroshima, Nagasaki bombing and Yugoslavia/Sarajevo war) and it plays on an old TV. I have also done an intervention by covering it with the popular saint’s images appropriated. In this ambiance, I performed, inspired by Butoh Dance, in an attempt to show the deep suffering that arise from the unconscious pressures originated in the social/familiar mandate patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment